Outwood Academy Acklam has a very high profile and embedded careers program that is regularly updated and improved upon. The careers program includes a number of initiatives such as post 16 provider assemblies, lunch time drop in sessions, careers fairs, mock interview days, contact assemblies and enrichment opportunities from local businesses and careers. In addition to these opportunities impartial and independent careers advice meetings from Careers Inc advisers are also provided. All of these elements supplement the careers advice and guidance that forms part of the VMG program. Further to this, careers advice and guidance plays a big part in the day to day teaching across the curriculum where teachers sign post the relevance of the learning taking place and skills developed in order to prepare students for the world of work.
The careers education and guidance programme at Outwood Academy Acklam seeks to positively support you to acquire the educational, social and employability skills necessary for lifelong success in a diverse and changing world of work.
We are currently working with Careersinc. CareersInc is an external, independent and impartial careers guidance service who will support you to aim high in your career goals and aspirations.
As a student at Outwood Academy Acklam you are entitled to a careers education and guidance programme which:
• is personal to you and always puts your interests first
• motivates and inspires you to consider all opportunities both within and Outwood Academy Acklam
• helps you to gain the skills you need to make your career ambitions a reality
• provides the support you need to be successful
• helps you access any additional support you might need
• is delivered by trained and qualified teachers and advisers, with up-to-date knowledge and understanding of career pathways and local labour market information
• protects and respects your personal information and shares it only with your consent
Together with staff from CareersInc we will support your career development in a number of ways including:
• information and discussion in lessons and assemblies to help you make decisions about your future
• activities and events such as careers fairs
• access to career advisers in a variety of ways including individual meetings, drop-in sessions, learning pathway planning and results days
• careers information and IT based careers programmes
• information and updates on notice boards, plasma screens and websites
For more information please contact:
SLT Lead Staff
We aim to regularly update our list of all the upcoming Post-16 provider open evenings and events, so that students and parents/carers alike can make decisions about courses being taken at Outwood Academy Acklam, and beyond. If you are a college provider and we have missed a date, please email Mrs Watson, who leads our Careers and Post-16 provision, or Mr Roberts.
Students can ask questions and get support with CVs, help with application form completion for college, collect prospectuses for colleges and apprenticeship providers and research courses for after GCSEs. We also aim to run ‘Careers Information Sessions’ occasionally in these sessions, often in partnership with Post-16 providers and increasingly with employer partners and alumni in particular career sectors. Sessions are focused on career choices around particular subjects that students may be interested in pursuing after post-16 and post-18 education. For more details speak to Mrs Watson or Mr Roberts.
Each month, we are grateful for our partner Post-16 Colleges and Apprenticeship providers, who supervise stands during one lunchtime on a Friday, to promote choices beyond GCSE, answer questions and inspire our student for their next steps. For parents, the timetable is below, if you want your son/daughter to pick up particular information.
We are currently looking to make contact with former students to support our current students with their career planning and act as ‘Career Champions’ at various events and sessions we hold throughout the academic year. We are also keen to promote around the academy example of careers alumni of Acklam have moved into, with photographs and biographies. If you are a former student and would like to become involved with the Academy as a ‘Career Champion’, or share info for display, please contact us via this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also share your Post-16 and Careers path as an Alumni with us, and give an indication of whether you might be able to spare us an hour, once a year or so, to promote your careers (or business!) and inspire current students here: email@example.com